We are a unique multidisciplinary, cross academic-industry and international European Training Network (ETN), funded under the EU’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions to train a new generation of Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) as PhD graduates. The network investigates methods to protect of rights and interests of individuals impacted by the continuous large-scale analysis of personal data, while still enabling the economy and society to benefit from rapid innovation in digital applications that use this data and thereby underpin the Digital Single Market. ESRs will receive training to enable them to integrate and apply arguments, analyses and tools from across the fields of law, technology ethics and knowledge engineering, so that they can excel in research and data science careers within digital services industry and public policy sectors too address problems of data protection, data ethics and data governance.
The ESRs will receive a strongly multidisciplinary training programme, bringing together world-class researcher in Data Protection Law, Technology Ethics and Knowledge Engineering to offer an excellent structured research programme operating at the critical boundaries between these three fields. The research supervision and training for ESRs is delivered by a network composed of the following world-class research groups and industry practitioners:
- the School of Law and the Knowledge and Data Engineering Group at Trinity College Dublin (TCD)
- the Institute of Ethics at Dublin City University (DCU)
- the Dept of Philosophy and the 4TU Centre for Ethics and Technology in University of Twente (UT – Netherlands)
- the Law, Science, Technology & Society (LSTS) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB – Belgium)
- the Ontology Engineering Group at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM – Spain)
- Castlebridge Associates (CBR – Ireland) provide training in data protection and governance consultancy
- the Rathenau Instituut of Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen (KNAW – Netherlands) provides technology social impact analysis and policy debate
A further set of industry partners will offer ESRs a rich range of relevant industry experience through training secondments.